Friday, December 27, 2013

Many Blessings and Catchphrases


This right here is what it's all about, this is my favorite Christmas ornament, and this time of year all of the many blessings in this life should bring us all to our knees. I had an incredibly blessed Christmas full of ugly sweaters, Oreo balls, Midnight Mass singing, and family catchphrases. There is no greater feeling of peace to be found sitting at the feet of the Lord sandwiched by your loving parents. And nothing compares to the relief and surrender that comes Christmas Eve when the presents are wrapped, the work is done and all you have left to do is curl up in your favorite furry blanket and gaze upon the frost patterns of your window while your heavy eyelids fall as softly as the starlit silence. 


My Christmas also involved a few shenanigans, as a gift to myself-- because you are never too old to get toys for Christmas-- I ordered a few original trilogy Star Wars figures that I had had my eye on and they fit in swimmingly with my already robust collection. Although Walrus man was supposed to keep an eye on Ackbar but of course he tipped back a little too much egg nog. He drinks like a fish.


I also ordered my first NerdBlock!!! Granted it's a little pricey ($20+$10 shipping per month) but I have nerdy friends as well and thought that if there is ever anything in it that doesn't strike my fancy then I can save it for them for gifts. My cousin Ryan received the sweet Samurai watch and a LOTR fan friend received the invisible Bilbo Baggins :) 


And yes I finally took a gander at crepe paper flowers and oh my word they are gorgeous and fun to make!!! This is the bouquet I made my mom for Christmas and they look like real blooms but they are huge! If you are interested in making them yourself pick up the book Paper to Petal, you won't regret it!! Also during the holidays we talked about what each of our memorable family catchphrases would be and it made for an interesting topic of conversation and induced a lot of laughter. We all seemed to have more than one :) Two things I used to say when I was little was "I want something I want", I was a very easy to please child as you can imagine ha ha, and when I was mad I would say "You badger!" Which made people laugh, except my parents who really knew I was trying to say "You bastard!" but couldn't quite pronounce it yet. I blame HBO for that one. 
So tell me, what is your childhood quote or catchphrase?

No comments:

Post a Comment